Monday, February 4, 2008

Book fairs, oral histories, and displays...oh my

Ok, ok, I admit it. I haven't been keeping up with my resolution. There has been ever so much to do around here. But, that is no excuse I am still going to work on getting more blogs posted so that I can share the exciting things that are going on with the fellowship...

This week Trina and I will be working with the external relations team in order to get ready for the book fair next week. This morning we will be working on signs and figuring out where to place them to get the best student response. We have also decided to put the information about the book fair on the Diversity Fellowship's and the University Library's Facebook pages. These kind of social networking sites really reach out to the student population so we are hoping to get a good response.

This week I will also begin working on an oral history project with the special collections and archives team. For this project I will choose someone connected to IUPUI and collect a oral history of the university from that person. At this time I am most interested in collecting an oral history from someone who once lived in this neighborhood and is now affiliated with the school. I am particularly interested in this project because my mother's and father's families both have ties to the neighborhood where IUPUI now resides. My father attended Crispus Attucks High School, and my mother lived on Blake Street. During my mother's childhood Blake Street was part of a thriving African-American community. This community was displaced when the university and other city buildings were built. I think that it is important for the university to acknowledge and pay homage to these people.

Speaking of this African- American community, in recognition of this history, one of the displays in the lower lobby of the University Library is dedicated to the old neighborhood. Please come by and take a look at the photos and information on display. The photographs from Crispus Attucks and The Flanner House are housed in IUPUI's special collections and many are available online through the University Library Digital Catalog. The bulk of the other information can be accessed through the University Library's online database search. For other Indiana and Indianapolis information you might want to check out the Indiana Historical Society's database.

This display will run February 4th - May 11th so you have plenty of time to come see it.

Well until next time, Carry on.

Ashley

No comments: