Friday, November 9, 2007

Taking the Good with the Bad

This morning I came to work a little later than usual and used the UL main entrance to come in. From a distance I saw a tiny yellow post-it note sticking to one of the display cases. I figured that it was an honest mistake and went over to take it down. That is when I noticed that something was written on the post-it: "STOP GAY CELEBRATION". I looked towards the other display case and winced when I saw another little yellow note. This one read: "WHEN DOES GAY (month) CELEBRATION END?.

Reading these notes I felt both upset and empowered. I felt upset because of two things.
1.) I am just generally fed up with intolerance (maybe being intolerant of intolerance is a bit hypocritical of me).
2.) I don't know how to address this problem. I am big on letter writing and speaking up for what I believe, but how do I address a single person and his/her lack of respect for the diverse cultures and experiences of others?

I guess the feeling of empowerment I have at this moment comes from the answer I gave myself for #2: I can't.

The notes that were posted on the display case were not signed. There was no contact information given for whomever wrote the notes and unless they somehow stumble upon this blog, I will never have a chance to sit down and talk with her/him and get a better understanding of his/her position. However, I can feel empowered by knowing that the things we do here can be both educational, thought provoking and hopefully somewhat empowering to people from under/misrepresented cultures.

There are many people who do not believe, as I do, in the equal rights and protections that the Constitution is supposed to provide each United States citizen. That is their right. However, through this fellowship, Trina and I, have and opportunity and obligation to make it known that it is our stance that all people deserve representation. And, though we have limited resources, we will do our best to represent the diversity of the IUPUI community.

In the future I will remain focused on not only displaying diversity on the surface, but also, through the opportunities and endeavors we will seek through this fellowship, immerse myself (as much as I can) in diverse cultures and ideas.

Still loving this job!
Ashley

No comments: