Friday, October 19, 2007

Fellowship Succcess

Before and after I was selected as a Diversity Fellow, I felt in the dark as to what responsibilites the position would hold. After working for a few weeks, Ashley and I have dived head-first into action. We have been introduced to so many people that work here at the library.....and it was overwhelming (especially trying to remember names). I was excited when we were given the "go" to take over the display cases in the library, collaborating with one another (Ashley and I). This month we were to create a display for GLBT History Month! I feel that our unique individual creativity is excellent, and I love the way our ideas - which are different - can be pieced together to flow as one. I am so happy because today we have finished the displays. And I say this with honesty - it took longer than I thought. It took much research and some public relations. Through this process I have met professors, students and campus organizations from IUPUI that support GLBT and its many causes. I was also able to contact national organizations and other university organizations that support GLBT. I hope that through out the year, and in the future, I can go to all these people and organizations if I need any information or help. And vice-versa.

**Please take time to check out our efforts! It's at the first floor of the library by the new coffee kiosk and mini cafe area! You can't miss it.

Also, just in these few weeks Ashley and I have worked in the digitization lab in the basement of the library. Some of the procedures I am familiar with...and some I have learned while being there. I never used or played around with Photoshop before, and being in the digi lab gave me some experience. It is pretty cool because the lab scans very old articles, papers, artifacts, etc. in order to digitize it and post it on their digital database (which you can find on the university library's website). Right now I believe Blake and others are working on a project for Crispus Atticks school (I hope I have spelled this right!) They are scanning all their year books so as to make them digital!

I've also been introduced to those that work in the Special Archives and Collections department. People, you should go to the basement of the library and check out their most recent display in the lobby. It is cool....it's for the Future Farmers of America (FFA), I believe. Also, check out their displays inside the Special Collections room.....pretty neat stuff.

This week I was able to work a little with the External Relations department - and I am pretty excited about this! My major is journalism, with focus in pr, so I am excited to learn more experience with what goes on in this department! Ashley and I will be helping the team with planning of the book fair, which will be in the spring. So....stay tuned!

Oh, our cubicle neighbor rocks! =D

No comments: